Or the other headline for this post is “Life is to be short to be Surrounded by Assholes.”
As I get older, I realize how valuable my time is and where I invest it is one of the most important choices I need to make. And some times looking forward to an experience and then feeling disappointed is important. It gets you thinking about 1) what you wanted your expectations of an event to deliver and 2) what you don’t want in your life.
People often tell me that what I need to do when I start dating again is to make a list of what I want in a man. I am very clear about what I don’t want after two marriages and many relationships. I am not there yet. But I did make that list for what I wanted to do next with my life; post the big title and job in corporate America. It helped me divorce my job.
It’s about setting intent. Ask yourself:
- What is it that you really, truly want? If you had a blank piece of paper and can chart your course?
- If it was a year from today, how would you be feeling? What have you gained? What have you lost?
- What would you be doing?
- Who would you be working with?
- How would you feel at the end of a work day?
- Do you want to maintain your current lifestyle? How would you be making a living?
- Would you be working to live or living to work?