This year has been amazing in the people I met and the conversations I’ve had. I learned so much from simply listening. After a challenging time of scheduling one particular call (it took us over 3 months to get our calendars aligned), it was finally the day to connect with Kevin Susman and I am so glad I did. We had no agenda apart from learning about what we are creating in the world. He shared with me that many years ago he had that job everyone wanted, except for him. Don’t get me wrong. He loved what he did but it forced him to choose work over his family. Continue reading
My generation has been sold a bill of goods. Here is the story we were sold:
- Have lots of friends. Be popular at school.
- Get good grades. Graduate.
- Get an education. Get a degree or two or three.
- Date. Meet good prospects who can provide and find the one that could be a “good” partner.
- Get a job so and have a great career.
- Marry. Have children. Make sure to have work-life balance.
- Climb the corporate ladder. Make sure to have work-life balance. Continue reading
Many people spend their lives escaping instead of truly being available to the moment. Our heads are filled, from a young age, with the notion that we must have goals and a purpose. We get asked: what do you want to be when you grow up? Not: “what type of life do you want?” Continue reading
One day I woke up and realized that there is nothing left in the organization that I wanted. I was a c-level executive in a $2+ billion business. There was no promotion. There was no title. There was no project. There was no purpose.I felt like work became a giant vacuum cleaner that kept sucking up my energy. My reward for doing good work was more work. Continue reading